This house was built on the shore of Geneva Lake in 1911 and was initially intended for railroad builders. The team from Ralph Germann architectes have turned the old building into a family residence by uniting three apartments into the integral space.
House ERG contains a central walnut wood staircase with banisters of hammered steel, the only reminders of the initial architecture. There are rectangular openings at the bearing walls of the staircase, providing ventilation and opportunity for residents to communicate while locating at different story’s. Apart from that, these hollow spaces can be used for stuff storage.
The first level consists of a living room and kitchen, conjoined with a garden. Narrow vertical windows provide perfect view on the surrounding landscape. The main bedroom has found its place in the middle of the construction and occupies the second floor, whereas children rooms are located at the third story. The house seems rather spacious due to small amount of furniture and inbuilt storage places. Unobtrusive sliding doors can be hidden into the walls and in such a way unite the two premises.Lionel Henriod